The Marine Corps Logistics Base, presently the second largest employer in the Barstow area, was established as the Marine Corps Depot of Supplies at its present location on December 28, 1942, when the United States Navy turned it over to the Marine Corps as a storage site for supplies and equipment needed for Fleet Marine Forces in the Pacific theater during World War II.
By the end of World War II, the base had outgrown its facilities and as a result, 2,000 acres of land, approximately seven miles east of the Nebo Main Base were annexed from the United States Army in October 1946. In 1954, the Commanding General, Marine Corps Depot of Supplies, moved his flag from San Francisco to Barstow and since then the base has grown in stature, strength and size.
In March 1961 the importance of MCLB Barstow increased dramatically with the establishment of the Depot Maintenance Activity. In November 1978, the Base was re-designated to its present title of Marine Corps Logistics Base to emphasize its broad logistics support mission.
In the early 1980's, MCLB Albany and Headquarters Marine Corps worked aggressively to integrate logistics support for the Fleet Marine Forces and eliminate duplications. As a result, all operational logistics functions moved to Albany and in January 1990, the Commanding General, Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, was re-designated Commander Marine Corps Logistics Bases.
The Marine Corps Logistics Bases is comprised of three major components- MCLB Albany, Georgia; MCLB Barstow, California; and Blount Island Command, Jacksonville, Florida. Generally speaking, MCLB Albany furnishes supplies for Marine Corps forces east of the Mississippi and to forces which are part of the Atlantic Fleet. We at Barstow support Marine forces west of the Mississippi, the Far East and Asia, while Blount Island Command provides logistical support for the Marine Corps' Maritime Pre-Positioning Ships and the Norway Geo-Pre-Propositioning programs.
The base is comprised of three principal sites:
- Nebo, which encompasses 1879 acres and functions as base headquarters and is the main facility for administration, storage, recreational activities, shopping, and housing functions.
- Yermo Annex encompasses 1859 acres and is primarily a storage and industrial complex and,
- The third site, 2438 acres, serves as our rifle and pistol ranges.